Saturday, March 27, 2010

Winthrop & Spring Break

It's been awhile since my last post in New Zealand. Now I am finishing up the Spring semester at Winthrop. This semester I moved into a 1-bdrm apartment a few blocks from campus.
living room

Because my parents were moving from Greer, SC to Lyman SC, our dog Trex needed a temporary home. So she came to stay with me for a few weeks while her new yard was being set up. At Winthrop, Trex refined her critical thinking skills. Below, she thinks hard about how to get peanut butter of the center of her fire hydrant.


During spring break, some Winthrop friends and I packed canoes for 4 days on the Edisto River in South Carolina's low country. The Edisto is a long, windy, blackwater river perfect for a relaxing float, except for the odd maneuvers around trees. We saw Pileated Woodpeckers, Wild Turkey, and Kingfishers.





Mist on the Edisto early in the morning


Later in the week, Jocelin and I headed out for a quick tramp on the Foothills trail. Here she poses above Upper Whitewater Falls.







Before heading back to Winthrop, I had to see some whitewater. I teamed up with Kyle to test out a new kayak on the Upper Green.
Kyle drops Bayless Boof for the first time