The time between graduation at Winthrop and starting as a Water Quality Intern at the University of Georgia's Study Abroad Campus in North West Costa Rica (Map below) was filled with family gatherings, old friends, a WFR Recert weekend, and a few awesome days of kayaking. Oh yea, and Trex and I pushed the limits of fetch in the backyard.
Unfortunately, there is never enough time during these transitions. That is why this blog is dedicated to Tim, Jonna, Tom, Jeanette, Timothy, Emma, Abby, Sam, Rose, and Joy. I was looking forward to seeing you guys and I am sorry I missed out.
Unfortunately, there is never enough time during these transitions. That is why this blog is dedicated to Tim, Jonna, Tom, Jeanette, Timothy, Emma, Abby, Sam, Rose, and Joy. I was looking forward to seeing you guys and I am sorry I missed out.
But now I am living on campus in San Luis de Monteverde, Costa Rica.
Casita #5 is a quiet one room hut at the end of the Casita trail complete with a bed, hammock, and desk.
I arrived just in time for 5th Congress of the Sociedad Mesoamericana para la Biologia y la Conservacion (The Mesoamerican Society for Biology and Conservation). The researchers from UGA's campus each gave a presentation on their work in the area.
Below, Nate gives his talk about GIS Spatial Analysis in the Bellbird Biological Corridor.
UGA-CR has a new GIS lab that will be used to map land use and compile data that has been collected in the area.
The director of UGA-CR gave a presentation outlining the goals for research and management in the Corridor.
Scott Connelly, the resident scientist (and my boss) on campus, gave a presentation about how declining amphibian populations affect stream ecosystems. And I presented my thesis project results with some ideas for future water quality monitoring in the corridor.
A cup of wine at sunsetThe conference was a great way to meet some people I will be working with these next six months. My job is to set up a stream monitoring program for the 3 watersheds in the Bellbird Biological Corridor.
The month of May started the official rainy season for North West Costa Rica. Sometimes the sun shows in the morning, but the afternoon usually brings downpours.
A rainy day on campus:The Path Forward